Monday, January 20, 2014

Backpack Banner

UPDATED 1/22/2014
I've made it no secret that I'm cheap.  Some people would say frugal but we know that's just fancy speak for cheap.  So when the oldest busted another backpack zipper I couldn't just toss the thing, I mean, the pattern was so cute on it that to throw it in the garbage would be sacrilege!  Fortunately she's blessed with grandparents that love to buy her school supplies so we had an extra backpack... or 4 (not kidding, the twins are set for next year).  ;)
So no money spent, but still I didn't have the heart to toss it.  So I did what I've done before... and a little extra.  Last year she busted the zipper to a super cute owl backpack and I made a pouch with the pocket up front for her 'art studio'.  It works great and I didn't feel as bad tossing out the bulk of the pack.  


Top left side of the door... it holds her camera and chords. 

 
But this time I've got banners on the brain and I saw cute material for free.  
My favorite four letter F word!  So I cut the pocket out and told her to use it in her new (not as cute) backpack as a pencil bag and then started to cut up as many pieces as I could to make a little banner.  It was super fast and easy with pinking shears. 

Sorry it's blurry, I was in a mad rush.  ;)





Super easy pencil bag.  (NO SEW!!!)  ;)

There's still enough material that I might cut out a few letters. 



So that's it... cheap ain't so bad.  ;)



Punching holes and grommeting.  *I found yarn was too thin and made the material buckle so I changed to grosgrain ribbon.  It kept the fabric from bending and sliding. 



All done!  The broken backpack is now a banner AND a pencil bag.  Score one for the cheap M.O.M.!

1 comment:

Thanks for takin' the time to read my stuff. :)