Friday, November 22, 2013

November Fly on the Wall

Welcome to a Fly on the Wall group post. Today 13 bloggers are inviting you to catch a glimpse of what you’d see if you were a fly on the wall in our homes. Come on in and buzz around my house.




 Well I've been working on my NaNoWriMo Challenge and am on target, but that means my blog and pages are being neglected.  But just one more week.  <squee!>  

I have been working on the house.  I finished painting the master bedroom, the one wall I couldn't get to because of our big bed on risers.  The husband moved it for me and I was able to finish it.  But then we had a plumber come out and fix a leak... so the closet wall was cut.  My next project is to repair that with an access panel and then I'll paint the closet. 

But my big project this month was the kitchen.  I loved the terracotta orange, but I wanted to 'steampunk' it up.  So I went with a darker orange and then glazed the walls.  I have a simple tutorial for those curious what glazing is.  I did it to a vanity about 8-years ago and loved it.  A friend of mine started doing it to all her furniture and helping others. She showed me her technique and left me with a pint of glaze.  
Now I'm glazing EVERYTHING.  ;) 







I didn't want to pay for new switch covers and I needed to paint the gears anyways so...




This old fan of mine was just a rusty brown.  I 'steampunked' it up.  ;)


These are just a few gears and flywheel I snagged at my parents place.


So I got my hair did on Wednesday and at the salon saw the Pinterest Pallet Wall (coat) Project and thought, I could 'steampunk' that up.  So the next day I cleaned up one of the many pallets I have and decided to try to stain and chalkboard paint it. 

 





Hoping to hang the pallet and add the steampunk elements tonight.  I'll do a little more staining and another coat of chalkboard paint.  The copper pipes will hold mason jars from copper wire and hold candles.  The gear and pulleys will also be added and a few other junk pieces.  I'm excited.  I'll post as soon as possible.  :)
*I'm also ordering hardware for the drawers and making a hook and chain light figure.  I'll do a blog on the fully finished kitchen.  It may take awhile since nothing is free.  Okay a few things are free, but I have to come up with money for the not free stuff.  ;)


Buzz around, see what you think, then click on these links for a peek into some other homes:

                                     Baking In A Tornado
                                Just a LittleNutty
                         Follow me home . . .
                  Stacy Sews and Schools
                           The Sadder ButWiser Girl
                                     MenopausalMother
                Moore Organized Mayhem
                                 The Momisodes
                      Spatulas on Parade
                              The Rowdy Baker
                       Sorry kid, Your Mom Doesn’t Play Well With Others
                            Moms Don’t Say That
                      Juicebox Confession    

8 comments:

  1. Okay, you scare me a little. How do you have that much energy? And know-how? And...motivation.
    My walls are white. White is good, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it in cycles. Once I get all the supplies out I figure I might as well do everything. Then I take a few months off. It's all then nothing. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love your steampunked kitchen. I wish the things I think I can do in my head actually came out right when I try them IRL, but no such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh!! I LOVE your Steampunk ideas!! GENIUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I love the glazing! I must go see the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm painting too. You are much further along! I love the color with the glaze and the gears. It's going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so not crafty!!! When I remodel, can you just come live here and help? lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for takin' the time to read my stuff. :)