Tuesday, July 30, 2013

DIY Steampunk Goggles


Hobart 770096 Welding Oxy-Acetylene Goggle - 50mm Eye Cup $8.73 and
SE - Loupe - Double Lens, Clip, 5x, 24mm - MI128-55 $4.50  The lenses just twist off and the ball chain nose piece can be adjust then.  *This pair comes with clear plastic and tented glass.


The gears are left overs from a package of 100 I bought at Micheal's for $3.99 I believe.  The copper hammered paint is also left over from several other projects but a can cost around $6.00 or so at Lowe's.  As stated above you can take the lenses off.  I sprayed one coat of the hammered copper and let dry, then just layered the gears between the two lenses.  You could also use the paint and gears as a stencil but I like the fact that they can move around. 
The goggles come with vent covers that you can just pop off.  You can paint them as well or replace them with fun doodads.  This also gives you a close up view of the hose clamp.  This one is 1 1/2" - 2 1/4" and slid right over the lense piece.  (These run less than a $1.00 a piece.)  I then attached the loupes to it with the clamp provided.  I may epoxy this since it feels so loose. 
 
  Finished Front: Gears just layered between the clear plastic and tinted lenses.  You can still see through the gears.  Makes for a cool effect. 
Side View: More gears and a brad.  Chances are I'll change it up in the next few weeks so nothing permanent.

Other Side: Same thing, gears, brad and a watch piece.  It too may change a few more times. 



Now to work on my copper arm band that will hold a big old compass.  Have to figure out how that'll work now.  :)

...and these came in the mail today.  No more reading them online.  <squee!> 



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Doesn't she though!?! I wish they'd make more... and a movie. She a pretty cool character but not enough out there yet.

      Delete

Thanks for takin' the time to read my stuff. :)