Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lessons in The Car

"Grandma and Grandpa are rich." says the oldest on our ride home from school.
"Why do you say that?"
"They have satellite TV."
"So if someone has satellite TV they are rich?"
"I guess."
"Do you realize there are people who can't pay their bills that still have satellite TV?"
"Really?"
"Yes.  We don't have satellite TV because your dad I don't watch much TV."
"But y'all watch a movie every night."
"I wish it was every night, but yes, we watch a movie a few nights a week.  Netflix costs $17 a month.  Satellite about $70.  We get a movie or two each week and you kids can watch cartoons without those dang commercials telling you what toys you HAVE to have."
"Yeah, y'all don't like that."
"No we don't."

There's a long pause in conversation as we both laugh at the twins as their heads bob in their seats, both fast asleep.

"Are we poor?"
"Some would say so.  We don't drive new cars, our house is small, I don't work so our income has been cut in half.  But we don't have debt except the house."
"So we're not poor?"
"What is poor to you?"
"I don't know.  I guess not having things."
"Do you want for anything?  Food, clothing, toys, a warm bed?"
"My bed is too warm with the twins."
"...and yet you wouldn't sleep in a separate bed when you had the chance."

She laughed and continued;

"Being poor isn't about money is it?"
"Why do you say that?"
"I feel rich even though I don't get everything I want."
"Why is that?"
"You and daddy and my annoying brother and sister.  I'm happy so I must be rich."

*5-minutes in the car from school to the house... each day... new lessons learned.

6 comments:

  1. I look up to you so much. For a lot of things, but mostly as a parent. I won't let my hormones turn this into a sappy lame comment, just thought I'd let you know. The end made me cry tears of happiness and gave me the "spiritual spanking" I so desperately needed lately. Love you and those kiddos and miss y'all like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, awesome story. You must be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet. smart girl you have there. miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh! yes! i cannot wait to have convos like these with my boys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for takin' the time to read my stuff. :)