Saturday, January 19, 2013

Glazing Furniture by a Dummy

Nope the title isn't a mistake.  I'm a dummy at glazing, but like most dummies I think I have everything figured out and want to share my new found knowledge as soon as possible.  Probably incorrectly but hey, don't blame me... it's just the internet.  ;)


What you'll need... stuff and lots of it.
Kidding!  You need a friend who will provide you with all the supplies.
Seriously... if you don't have a cool friend willing to bring you EVERYTHING you need including something to drink then you'll need all this:

Sand Paper: you can use just paper, a sanding block or my preferred choice a sponge sander (easier to use when you have any detailing in the wood).

Plaster of Paris

Paint:  ranging from white to pale yellow.  *All 3 pieces I did are in 3 different colors.  This process is forgiving!  I even used a satin and a semi-gloss... both worked fine.

Mixing Bucket: anything you can mix the plaster and paint in.

Glaze

... and of course paint brushes; 3 if possible.  (My 3rd one is currently wet with chalk board paint or I'd show it for ya.)  ;)






First Step:  you'll need something to paint.  No for real.  If you don't then this is useless information.  I mean, it probably is anyway, but I mean really useless.

Second Step: clean it off.  Just wipe it down a bit so it's not nasty.  I'm not the only one with kids.  Don't judge me!

Third Step: lightly sand it unless this is a nude piece.  (I heard you giggle.)  If it's nude you can still buff it up a bit.  ;)

Fourth Step: mix your Plaster of Paris and paint.  My friend mixed up the first batch and gave me the measurements but she forgot to mention there was a dash of magic or possible voodoo so I found one that worked for me and my Muggle skills.

4 Tablespoons of Plaster of Paris
2 Tablespoons of Water
2 Cups of Paint

Mix the Plaster of Paris with Water until the plaster is a smooth liquid.  (If you need to add a little more water just do it a tablespoon at a time.) 
Slowly add it to your paint and mix till well blended.

NOW PAINT FAST!  You have about 20-minutes or so before the plaster sets or you get a clumpy mess that can't be revived with water or paint.  It's its nature, don't fight it.  Just make sure you are ready to paint when you mix the stuff.

Second Coat of Paint: (4b) when the paint dries you can add another coat if you need the coverage.  Since I was covering a dark stain I needed a second coat.  This coat can just be the paint, no plaster of Paris.

Fifth Step: when it's all dry the fun starts.  Now is when you distress the piece.  Get the sanding paper and work the piece over.  Sand the edges, corners, panel edges, anything that would naturally wear with time.  Even the top so it looks like something has rubbed the surface down.  You can't mess up.  And if you do... just don't tell anyone.  That's the secret.  Always.act.like.you.meant.to.do.it!  ;) 

Sixth Step: once you are satisfied with your work wipe the piece down and get the glaze ready.  This is the super duper fun part.  Very lightly dip your brush in the can, wipe it across the edge and even tap the tip on a paper towel till you get the feel of it.  Then on the places that you sanded add the glaze.  Just lightly brush it across following the grain of the wood.  Then hit a few places like where the knobs would be (i.e. grubby hands would come in contact with the wood).

Seventh Step: grab your dry brush and start spreading the glaze.  No rush here, you have time to make it just right.  Again remember to follow the grain of the wood and when working on corners go out from each side.  This is the most forgiving part of the process and where you can decide if you want a light or heavy glaze.  AND if you have a heavy hand and don't like it, use a paper towel to wipe it off, if it's still too dark paint over and begin the last few steps over.  

Eighth Step:  I didn't do, but I'm lazy... don't be lazy.  Clear coat your piece.  I won't give you directions on this because as stated a second ago... I'm lazy and didn't do it.  I will no doubt be painting these pieces again because that's what I do.  :)  

If you like a visual here's a little picture collage that might give you a general idea of the process and how it looks between each.  This is one of the nightstand drawers:

...and as the 4th picture shows, you can even do it with kids around.  ;)

From start to finish this is a half a day project... dry time included.  Unless you have kids.  Then you'll be stopping to make snacks, push away grabby hands that want to help, and cleaning up glaze from your counter, cabinet fronts and where it pooled on the tile below.  *As stated 3 seconds ago it's forgiving.  Paper towel and it's cleaned up.

If you can do it when the kids are away... I'm jealous.  DO IT!!!

If you have any questions don't ask me.  I don't have the answers.  But you can look up better step by step processes on Pinterest.  Better yet ignore all this and go straight to Pinterest.  ;)


This is the dresser through the stages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for takin' the time to read my stuff. :)